What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are a powerful method for regaining a youthful complexion, minimising the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by creating volume in the inner layers of skin. Cosmetic fillers can be used to restore fullness to lips and cheeks with a natural-looking result, as well as providing volume in the chin. Dermal fillers can be used like makeup to highlight certain features, and are also commonly used to treat darkness under the eyes. The process is carried out using the same substance that naturally provides skin’s fullness in our bodies with a long lasting effect.
Dermal fillers are used to target the following areas:
- Lips:Used to enhance volume which is lost naturally as we age. Redefine your lip shape and banish bleeding lip lines. We can minimise those lines above and below the lips, which are exaggerated when pursing (and kissing!) and have you puckered to perfection.
- Cheeks:Used to enhance volume, add hydration and also to contour. Did you know that it is the loss of volume in the cheeks that causes deep lines between your nose and outer lips? A relatively subtle treatment to the cheeks can make quite a difference to your downturned mouth!
- Under eyes: Used to erase the hollowness and evidence of too many sleepless nights.
- Nasolabial folds:(from the nose to corners of mouth; Used to soften these folds, and encourage natural collagen renewal. This area is most often corrected by the lifting effect of cheek filler
- Deep Lines:While muscle relaxants will soften the majority of lines and wrinkles some deeper ones will benefit from fillers. In some areas, one dermal filler treatment is sometimes enough to correct long term lines when used in conjunction with regular muscle relaxants. We can use dermal fillers on many lines such as smile lines, frown lines, lip lines, crow’s feet and foreheads.
- Hands or décolletage:Used mostly for rehydration
- Chin and jowl:Used to give a smoother chin line by filling lose areas of the jowl and chin.
Consultations are a must, as not all clients are suitable for dermal fillers. This information is offered to you as an outline for the benefits of fillers and should not be used to make final decisions on your suitability.
- 100% natural and chemical free
- Lifts and rejuvenates aging skin
- Fillers can plump up your lips, enhance cheek volume, re-shape the chin, jawline, temple, and get rid of sagging skin under the eyes
- Fillers can also lift the eyes and eyebrows
- Augment and reshape any of your features, while refreshing your face naturally
- Restores a youthful freshness and definition to aging facial tissue
- Predictable, natural and consistent results
- Gels are impregnated with local anaesthetic so that you experience minimal discomfort
- Minimal recovery required after treatment
- Treatment can be reversed if required leaving you with complete peace of mind!
Some medications and herbal supplements will increase the risk of bruising. To maximise your results and minimise the bruising risk, you should avoid blood-thinning medications such as Aspirin and Nurofen, as well as alcohol, for four days prior to your visit. Skip your vitamin and herb supplements for a week beforehand, especially fish oils, and oral vitamin A, C and E as these all thin the blood. Ginseng and Ginko increase circulation so it makes sense to avoid those too!
If you take warfarin or heparin you must not adjust your dosage without speaking to your healthcare provider.
For 24 hours post fillers:
- You may experience tenderness, redness and swelling during the first 24-48 hours, yet these are normal reactions which will resolve over the next two to four days.
- Ice can be applied to the treated area frequently (five to ten minutes every half hour) for up to six hours to hinder bruising and swelling. Arnica pilules or Hirudoid cream (from the clinic or chemist) may reduce bruising.
- Minimise your alcohol, caffeine, vitamin supplement and avoid aspirin and nurofen for 24 hours, as these may cause bruising.
- Take a day off from exercise or exertion and spare your skin from the sun or solarium.
Swelling and bruising can give the appearance of unevenness of the treated area and it is not uncommon to experience more swelling on one side of the face than the other. The filler syringes have volume markers on each so our nurses can ensure they put exactly the same amount each side of your face. If you feel that the finished look is still uneven after 10 days contact the treating clinic to book a review appointment.
You may apply mineral makeup using a clean brush.